Please welcome todays guest poster, Kendra Thornton!
Traveling with kids can be challenging, but with a little planning ahead, you can relieve some of the stress. Here are some ideas on how to keep your family safe, happy, and healthy while you travel:
1. My kids get really cranky when they miss sleep. I try to plan long flights at night, right before their bedtime, so they can sleep on the way to our destination. I’ve found that when they get some sleep on the plane, they’re well-rested and ready to go when the flight is over.
2. Toys and activities are a MUST for travel! Before we go, I encourage my children to choose toys, books, and games to keep them entertained. When my kids were very young, I would bring stuffed animals or special blankets. It was helpful for them to have a familiar object in an unfamiliar location (especially on airplanes).
3. Encourage your family to start the morning with a healthy, balanced breakfast, especially if you are headed to a theme park. Theme parks don’t always have nutritious snacks to offer, and a healthy breakfast will give them plenty of energy. I’ve stayed in several Walt Disney World hotels in Orlando, and they offer excellent complimentary breakfasts with your room. I personally enjoy using travel sites like Gogobot to sift through reviews and find users I can connect with!
4. If you aren’t in the habit of washing your hands now, this information will change your ways! An SCA survey showed that about four in 10 adults did not wash their hands after sneezing, coughing, and blowing their noses. And if that wasn’t enough, 58 percent of adults had seen other adults leave public restrooms without washing their hands! While you travel, you will come in contact with lots of germs. Remind your kids about the importance of hygiene, and encourage them to stay healthy through washing hands.
5. When you’re staying in a hotel, it can be pretty tempting to go out to eat every day, especially when the kids are begging you! Stocking the mini fridge with fresh fruits, veggies, and other healthy snacks is a great way to resist the temptation to spend too much money on junk food.
You can keep your family safe and healthy by anticipating their needs, and preparing for them. By taking care of the basics ahead of time you can ease your mind, and traveling with kids will become fun!
A little bit about Kendra Thornton: She’s a travel advocate, TV spokesperson, PR businesswoman, and proud wife and mama of 3. Kendra is a long time travel expert who has been packing her bags and traveling the world since she was 3 months old! She’s found that her utmost desire in life is right in her own home. She has mixed her excitement for travel by bringing the taste of authentic cuisine into her own home with some of her unique recipes and sharing some of her personal traveling tips. Enjoy! You can find her on Twitter @KendraThornton and on her website, Thornton Public Relations.